Wednesday, January 11, 2006

Am I Malaysian?

I have been accused of being a Malaysian. Under normal circumstance, I would be considering that accusation an honour, but not in this case and most certainly not of late.

I have been accused of being a competitor or enemy of "Prof. Dr." Jessie Chung. One rationale being offered is why would a foreigner like me otherwise have such a strong interest in a local citizen like Jessie. I have an interest in Malaysia because I have lived there for 6 months, and actually called it home briefly. My other interest is academic - there are many of us who truly earned the credentials and degrees that Jessie either bought or took the title on herself: Ask howsy, a Malaysian, after he completed his doctoral studies how he feels about sharing the same podium with Jessie Chung as academic equals? Ask the Malaysian Health Minister how he feels about sharing the honour of being called a medical doctor with Jessie? And ask the Vice Chancellor of the University of Malaya how he feels about sharing the same professorial rank as Jessie?

Another accusation being posed was how was I able to articulate so many Malaysian words and colloquism. I have friends from many nations. One thing we enjoy in academia is the range of intellects from different parts of the world. I count amongst my friends many people from the ASEAN region, includng a few Malaysians and Singaporeans. They are as upset about Jessie as I am. They've helped me with a few choice local words, I guess for me to impress a few Malaysians. I actually managed to pick up a few local words wherever I travel to - I find the locals are friendlier if I make an effort to learn their language.

Lastly I feel that if those that can do not speak up to protect those that cannot, we have abdicated our responsibility to each other as fellow human beings. Inversely, if those that are in a better position exploit those that are in a weaker position, we have relinquish our sense fairness and stewartship.

So .... no, I am NOT a Malaysian. I have never met Jessie and I am NOT in Malaysia currently, in the last 2-1/2 months nor will I be in Malaysia in the next 2-1/2 months.

My last place of residence was NYC and I am currently in Canada.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home