Thursday, December 08, 2005

Welcome To Quack Buster

Genesis
A few weeks ago (mid-November 2005), I read about a very public transsexual wedding in an Asian country called Malaysia, on the AP Newswire service. Having visited and lived in Malaysia briefly, I understood Malaysia to be an Islamic country. A transsexual wedding in such a restrictive culture was something that perked my curiousity.

The wedding was between Jessie Chung (formerly Jeffrey Chung) and Joshua Beh. Both Jeffrey and Joshua were homosexual partners, until Jeffrey decided he should have a sex-change operation to become Jessie. The big event cost M$1,000,000 (about US$250,000) and was billed as The Million Dollar Fairy Tale Wedding in Malaysia. In a land of superlatives - Malaysia has the twin-towers which at one time was the tallest building in the world briefly, and published its own Malaysian Book of Records - The Million Dollar Fairy Tale Wedding was BIG news. Reporters were flown in (all paid expense) and the lavish wedding dinner included 800 people. Jessie was also an aspiring singer by this time, and was both promoting her singing career, an upcoming autobiography, and a herbal supplement line of products.

Raison D'erte
So, what does this blog - entitled Quack Buster - has to do with a transsexual wedding?

Firstly, I need to be clear with my blog readers that I am not against their wedding, or their sexual preferences and lifestyle. For the purpose of this blog, I keep my personal values to myself.

While reading about Jessie, I discovered that she is a "doctor". Further web searches led me to her two websites: http://www.jessiechung.com/ and http://naturalhealthfarm.com/. Jessie is the holder of various degrees and professional memberships in naturopathic medicine, once of which is from Lafayette University.

At this point, I also need to be clear with my blog readers that I am not against naturopathic medicine. I believe that naturopathic medicine can co-exists with allopathic medicine, like it does in many European countries (particularly in Germany) and Asia (Japan, China). I take herbal remedies and supplements as readily as pills.

What is so significant about Lafayette University? It is very significant to a scientific researcher and an academic like me. Lafayette University is a diploma mill - in other words, you do not have to study at Lafayette University to earn one of their degrees. You just have to pay your "tuition" fees and it will be mailed to you - within days. A Ph.D. in a few days - if only I was that gifted.

As it turns out "Dr." Jessie Chung's credentials are mostly dubious (taken verbatim from her website, in November 2005):

  • Lafayette University, USA (Master of Science, with an emphasis in Nutrition)
  • St.Andrew College Doctorate Degree in Natural Medicine (USA)
  • Hawaii Oriental Medical College (B.Sc.), USA
  • Diploma in Nutrition, International Therapy Examination Council (ITEC, UK)
  • Bachelor of Homeopathic Medical Science, Malaysia
  • Beijing China Medical Institute (Certificate of Cancer and Internal Medicine)
  • East West University of Holistic Health Sciences (USA) - Professor of Natural Medicinal Department
  • Member of American Naturopathic Medical Association
  • Member of American Nutritional Medical Association
  • Member of Malaysia Homeopathic Doctor Association
  • Speaker for Malaysia at the 6th World Male Medical Conference
  • Host of Health-care programme at Radio 5 & RFM 98.8
My issue, and the raison d'erte of this blog, is false credentials and public misrepresentation.

First Matter
I had been posting on numerous Malaysian blogs and forums, warning the local public of their local celebrity "doctor". While most people were curious, many were outright aggressive - wondering why someone like me from North America (specifically Canada where I reside now, formerly a New Yorker) would interfere with their way of life and practices. I had been threatened with a beating and my life, and exposure as a flamer and a self-righteous fake.

Noticing that my welcome is overstayed on some of these blogs and forums, I think it is time to host my own blog space. I have decided that I will dedicate my first expose to "Dr." Jessie Chung. No, this will not be a witch hunt, as one Administrator had accused me of being on. This is not about Jessie as a person per se ... but about her false credentials and misleading practices. I will try to separate the person from the issues.

Next
My objective is to have the Malaysian public specifically see "Dr." Jessie Chung as who she really is - a false physician with no real medical training. When this is done, I will detail other topics related to false credentials and the societal implications. I may also talk about the scientific community and some of our struggles.

8 Comments:

Blogger Q-Buster said...

Thank you for posting, and welcome.

datinlawa: Yes, this is indeed a better place to post ... certainly posting without any fear of offending someone with the truth.

ahoo: I have stopped posting on usj.com.my blog - at the request of the Administrator, as he sees my posts as uninformative and as more of a witch hunt. In fact, I have stated very clearly that I am not after the person, but instead after the real issues.

Sun Dec 11, 12:46:00 AM EST  
Blogger silveraven said...

i am curious though...what attracted your attention to a 'gay marriage' at this part of the world (kuching, sarawak, where jessie chung resides) which is 'almost' unknown in canada and the states?

Sun Dec 18, 02:09:00 AM EST  
Blogger Q-Buster said...

There has been very few transsexual marriages in North America of late. Recently same-sex marriage was legalized in Canada and a few US states. Most of the news around it were political in nature.

Most gay couples that I know do not want to be married, their argument being that marriage is part of an older irrelevant institution.

I respect gay rights as part of human rights, but not necessarily agree with that. I believe that traditions are vitally important, and I do not support the redefining of traditional marriages.

But I separate the issues from the people. I count many gay friends as people I trust and work with. They really are no different than you and I outside the bedroom.

What caught my attention about Jessie was the so-called $1 M. Fairy Tale Wedding (which is a bit of a hoax after you realized that a house and a car is thrown into the mix - IMHO, it was just an attention grabber); and the fact that the wedding was in Malaysia, an Islamic country with strong Asian values.

Sun Dec 18, 04:00:00 PM EST  
Blogger Unknown said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

Wed Nov 25, 10:04:00 PM EST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi QBuster, you say you are"DEDICATED TO INVESTIGATING DUBIOUS CREDENTIALS AND DIPLOMA MILLS", but so far I only see that all you posted were everything about Jessie/Jeffery Chung... this sounds like a personal attack and take vengeance rather than your "noble" intentions of your "goal". So, we all know she/he is dubious, but why you hate her so much? It's really getting boring! So, what about the other diploma mills, I'm sure theres so many out there. Why don't you find some new target and alert more victims?!

Wed Nov 25, 10:08:00 PM EST  
Blogger Unknown said...

Hi QBuster, you say you are "DEDICATED TO INVESTIGATING DUBIOUS CREDENTIALS AND DIPLOMA MILLS", but so far I only see that you posted everything about Jessie/Jeffery Chung... this sounds like a personal attack and vengeance rather than your "noble" intentions of your "goal". Why you hate her/him so much? It's getting so boring reading everything about her/him. So, what about the other diploma mills, theres so many out there. Why don't you do the real job and switch focus, concentrate on your "goal"!

Wed Nov 25, 10:11:00 PM EST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

S/he is by far the biggest fraud as far as I can dig out in Malaysia. And his/her crime targets the ignorant, the poor and the sick.

But, if you had taken the time to read first and not be so impulsive to comment ... you will find many other cases that I have written about re: diploma mills.

BTW ... welcome. Dissenters as well.

Q-Buster

Thu Nov 26, 08:51:00 PM EST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Q buster,

Why aren't there any more updates on Natural Farm? Your last posted was in 2008. So the conclusion is?

Tue Jul 17, 10:07:00 AM EDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home